Does college have you suffering from burnout, exhaustion or overwhelm? Trying to find the right balance between friends, study, family and more? If so, you may be a victim of emotional overload. Emotional overload is that place we all come to when we say things like “I can’t take it anymore,” “This is too much for me to handle,” “He/she just doesn’t understand,” or “What’s the use? It won’t happen or work anyway!”
Most of us run around doing, doing, doing and then one day realize that we have little “juice” or energy to do the things we really want to do. It is similar to running a battery down to the point where it will not charge anymore. Daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly, we continue to deplete our energy without recharging our “batteries.”
Well, the next time you find yourself experiencing that “I’m sinking” feeling due to never-ending homework, exams, roommate challenges, or personality conflicts with your partner – DON’T GIVE UP! Take a time out and review the follow 10 strategies to help get you back on track with experiencing Growth in Motion™!!
(Remember: Self Care + Self Empowerment + Self Knowledge + Self Direction = Growth in Motion!!)
The 10 emotional management strategies are:
- Believe and know that you can do this!
- Accept responsibility for your stuff (i.e. thoughts, feelings, and actions).
- Seek to understand everything and everyone.
- Be honest with yourself.
- Learn from your mistakes and take action to correct them.
- Take care of yourself in a way that energizes and empowers you.
- Trust yourself and know what is correct for you.
- Celebrate the victories and have fun!
- Pay attention to your body and rest when you are tired and/or exhausted.
- Surround yourself with a positive support network.
Post this list on the wall next to your bed so that you will see it when you awake and before you retire to bed. And know that with a little bit of adjustment and tweaking along the way, you can make it through!
Take Care of Yourself,
“Living a Growth in Motion™!! Lifestyle”