The hard work only begins once you’ve got your diploma. Here are 10 things to do every day to guarantee your success once your foot’s in the door.
As college graduates don their robes and mortar boards and finally make that walk across the stage to receive a diploma, those of you who have a position lined up are the lucky ones.
Good for you.
Now, the work really begins. Here’s a list to get you started:
- Do quality work. Crap will catch up with you quickly.
- Solve your own problems. Or management will.
- Be on time or early. Or your competition will.
- Put in the hours. “They” say it takes 10,000 hours to succeed at anything.
- Form relationships in your industry. Relationships are everything.
- Learn to write. LOL? No, really. Learn to write.
- Dress for the work you want. No one cares about your personal style.
- Know your strengths. And don’t be afraid to highlight them.
- Know your weaknesses. And fix them.
- Learn to speak. Like, you know.
You have a leg up on many. Print this list and carry it with you everywhere. Read it every morning. Tape it to the bathroom mirror. Put it on your iPad. Record it as a voice memo. You beat out many for a job, but it will take an incredible work ethic to keep that job and succeed.
Again, congratulations on your graduation and job. Now go take advantage of your situation and rock to the top!
- Originally appeared in Fast Company
Dayna Steele is the creator of YourDailySuccessTip.com and the author of the 101 Ways to Rock Your World book series. She went to college when she was 16 and had a really good time. In speaking to college students, Dayna shares the everyday principles of success she learned from years of mingling with successful Rock Stars as one of the nation's top Rock Radio DJ's. She helps her audiences Rock to the Top in college, in their careers, as entrepreneurs and in life. Dayna speaks about SUCCESS to college students, business people and entrepreneurs across the globe and is available to speak at your next campus event.