HE DID WHAT???
Are you ever in shock over the things your dorm mates or work buddies do? (Leave their shoes everywhere, never put anything back, etc.) You’d think they’d know better than that. Well, always remember “Common sense isn’t always common.”
Think about it. We live in such a diverse culture today that everybody has totally different expectations based on their own experiences. That’s why people can do what they do without embarrassment.
That was the subject of an article I recently read on AOL - ”How Toxic Behavior Leads to Sinful Behavior at Work.” The article did an excellent job of relating unseemly behavior in the workplace to the Seven Deadly Sins.. you know – envy, gluttony, greed, lust, pride, sloth and wrath. A great list and here’s seven more deadly sins I’ve come up with to expand the lsit to 14!
- Thou Shall not Steal: The ‘I’ll bring it right back’ syndrome. That’s how most pens, books, paper clips, staplers and other items walk away from your desk or your dorm room - because somebody ‘borrowed’ them. No, that’s stealing! Please get one from the spply closet or the book store!
- Thou Shall not Covet thy Coworkers Space: These are folks who like to make themselves comfortable at your desk or in your room (as if it’s a resort) when you step away. If you wouldn’t want someone adding their family or pet photos to your decor, don’t do it to theirs.
- Thou Shall not Chat Online: I’m sure it’s important for you to answer all of your messages on Facebook, but not on the companies time – or study group time. I realize that sometimes the work gets slow or you get bored, but you’re disturbing the rest of us and wouldn’t be doing it if someone were watching.
- Thou Shall not Trash the Kitchen: Yes, there is a refrigerator in the kitchen, but that doesn’t give you the right to leave your food in there until it turns into some sort of science project. You left it in there — at least go back and see if it’s grown mold or moves on it’s own.
- Thou Shall not Scream Through the Hallways: HEY CAROL! IS TAMMY OVER THERE? Dorm room to dorm room or cubicle to cubicle. Every time you yell back it starts a chain reaction. First they scream, then you scream back and then we all scream for I SCREAM! Totally unprofessional. Okay, your personal megaphone may be acceptable in the dorm, but NOT in the office! (And it will get you thrown out of the library!)
- Thou Shall not Take Extra Time for Lunch: Everybody should take a lunch break. But if your lunch takes an extra half-hour every day, (What? You had to kill the food yourself?) You might need to start staying put and microwaving a sandwich. Get back to your desk or back to class on time!
- Thou Shall not PROCRASTINATE: This is one of my favorites. Folks who expect you to stay late because they’ve been ‘in meetings’ all day, otherwise busy or just procrastinated and didn’t get the project or paper done. Now you’re supposed to stay late and participate in the chaos! I’ve always been a team player, but every now and then people mistake my kindness for stupidity. We’ve heard it – Procrastination may be the largest nation in the world, but I live on the ‘I’m leaving on time’ planet. Follow the other 13 guidelines and your work ethic will warrant this stance.
Here’s to living a sin-free life – on campus and in the workplace. “Go forth and multiply” – or is that “Live long and prosper?”
Marja Lee Freeman (aka ‘The Employment Lady’) speaks with authority on the job search process and its pitfalls. She is an expert on employment issues: job search strategies, discovering the right job for you, employment trends, workplace conflict, and dealing with day-to-day employment dilemmas they don’t teach at school.