I travel the country presenting my two core programs for college students: Campus Organization Leadership Training™ and Building Leaders Through Service® and they both resonate with the same overarching theme – SERVANT LEADERSHIP. The bottom line is that I believe in serving and that by serving others – especially those we intend to lead – we become better leaders.
COLLEGE SPEAKER SPOTLIGHT
But, I’m not some Johnny-come-lately who attended a seminar on speaking at colleges and sees an opportunity. By always being willing to roll up my sleeves in service to others I’ve built a SERVANT LEADERSHIP RESUME that I’m quite proud of. And wherever I go I encourage my students to do the same. If I were to submit that resume to a prospective employer, it would look something like this in summary:
- Over 50,000 hours of community service
- 7 Circle K International Distinguished District Awards
- 9 Circle K International Distinguished District Administrator Awards
- 60 Distinguished Awards received by Georgia Circle K during my tenure as District Administrator (1998-2007)
- Led college students to perform over more than 2 million hours of community service as a student leader, advisor, and speaker
Servant Leadership during my college days…
- Member of University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh Circle K club for 5 years
- Club Membership Development and Education Chair (3 yrs)
- Wisconsin-Upper Michigan District Lt. Governor and Governor
- Circle K International Vice-President and President
- Appeared on Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon twice to make check presentations on behalf of Circle K Intl’s fundraising efforts. (see video below)
- City of Oshkosh, WI declared May 31, 1983 as “David A. Kelly Day”
- Alpha Lamda Delta Honor Society, Secretary of UW-Oshkosh chapter
- Vice-President Pro-Tempore and 3-term Student Senator for the Oshkosh Student Association, UW-Oshkosh SGA
- 1-term Student Assembly Representative
- Member of Executive Board and Executive Committee
- Chair of Committee on Committees
- Chair of Legislative Affairs Committee
- Delegate to United Council of University of Wisconsin System Student Governments
- Member of Legislative Affairs Committee for United Council of University of Wisconsin System Student Governments.
As a professional…
- Legislative Affairs Director, chief lobbyist, United Council of University of Wisconsin System Student Governments
- Member of Galleria-Northwest Kiwanis Club
- Circle K advisor for 18 years, 9 as Assistant District Administrator and 9 as District Administrator
- Inducted into Georgia Circle K Hall of Fame in 2001, at time of induction the Hall of Fame was renamed as The Georgia District of Circle K International David A. Kelly Hall of Fame.
- Served Georgia Circle K District as District Community Service Chair, Interclub Chair and as a Distinguished Lt. Governor
- Served as Kiwanis Club president twice, vice-president, secretary three times, and treasurer.
- Named once each as Distinguished Club President and Secretary.
- Chaired numerous committees including Partner in Education Program
- Won 1999 Cobb County Outstanding Partner in Education Award for community service at Argyle Elementary School.
- Kiwanis Host Committee Chair for 1998 Key Club International Convention.
- Served on Board of Directors of Georgia Equity Lenders Association for 10 years, including two years as President.
- Also served as 1st Vice-President, 2nd Vice-President, and Membership Chair.
It started in High School!
- Horace Mann High School Key Club (3 yrs), served on club board of directors
- Lt. Governor for Wisconsin-Upper Michigan District of Key Club.
- Named “Outstanding Lt. Governor” for Wisconsin-Upper Michigan District
- Received “Robert F. Lucas Outstanding Lt. Governor Award” from Key Club Intl.
For over 20 years I’ve been training leaders and advisors on Campus Organization Leadership and Community Service Projects. Student Government Associations, Campus Activities Boards and campus clubs of every kind know that my message is loud and clear Student Leadership and Community Service go hand-in hand! As they saying goes… “I don’t just talk the talk. I walk the walk”
PS. I normally don’t talk about myself in such glowing terms, but as my marketing guy keeps reminding me, in the words of Yogi Bera… “If ya done it, it ain’t braggin’.”
See me back in my college days!