Four weeks with your friends and family were fun but now it is time to get back to the work at hand – securing your future so that one day (in the very near future), you can live the life you want to live.
Here are five things you can do right NOW to help secure your desired future:
- Request a meeting with each of your instructors NOW, even those for basic subjects that have nothing to do with what you want to do for a living. Ask about their success – where they went to school, what they studied, what mistakes they learned from, what did they learn and what’s the one piece of advice they would give you. Not only will you find out something interesting you may have never known about this person, you will also have made a positive impact on this person with your initiative – which can only help at grade time.
- The first of the year is famous for lists in the media. Search something like “top jobs this decade” or “top professions for college graduates.” You get the idea. Take the time to see what the Internet crystal ball says about your future. You may discover there is a field you never considered. Or you may find out the field you have chosen is predicted to no longer exist or be the lowest paying on the charts. Don’t be surprised when you graduate, do the research NOW.
- Start looking for a summer internship NOW. Did I make that clear? Now. As in NOW. Find one, paid or not, in the field you think you want to work in. There is nothing like real experience with real people in a real job setting to discover your passion. It also looks great on a resume, the more experience you have, the higher up you go in the consideration. It is also a good way to discover you can’t stand your chosen profession. Do it now, don’t wait until it is the thing you end up doing the rest of your life and hating.
- Start the habit of giving back to your community. Find something to volunteer for NOW and find something that feels good to you and you genuinely support. Just doing it to make you look good on a resume will always back fire. Karma baby!
- Look in the mirror. Are you overweight? Are you unhealthy? Is your hygiene a mess? Are your finances already a disaster? Fix it all NOW. Start eating right, exercising, taking care of yourself and stop spending money you don’t have. If you do these things now, you’ll be 95% ahead of everyone else when you graduate.
Do you want money in the bank? Do you want to make a living at something you love? Do you want to have the time and finances to play and travel as well? Do you want to live in the style you desire?
If you answered yes to any or all of those questions, remember, it is simple: it is all in your hands. And, there is no time like NOW to get started.